The Dark Ages have arrived. Tyneside's stoop is much lower than I had previously imagined. I knew we are obese, but we can't even see our own toes it appears. Even harder to understand how we manage to stoop at all, or manage to bury our heads in the sand.
Fallen flat on the face, into soft sand?
|Road safety at its useless best - absconding responsibility|
Looks like heady head teachers sticking their heads in the sand. Ostrich approach to solving the problem: finding an answer which doesn't address the real problem.
Here's the contract. Take a deep breath before reading.
= = = = = THE START = = = = =
Parents must sign and agree to the following:
- Check on a regular basis their child’s bike is in the correct working order.
- Check to ensure that the child is wearing their helmet whilst riding their bike.
- Support the school with their views on cycling.
- Ensure that their child has an appropriate lock which can be fastened to the cycle shelter structure.
- Agree a route to school which is recorded on the contract.
Pupils must also agree to abide by the following:
- Always wear a helmet when riding a bike.
- Agree to carry out an "M" check on their bike as taught on the bikeability course and report or repair before riding. The M check is a bike maintenance check.
- Always cycle in a safe manner and use the skills they have learnt on the Bikeability course.
- Cycle their route to school that has been agreed by their parent/guardian.
- Lock their bike in a position which allows other users to access their bikes.
Whilst the school agrees to:
- Provide a cycle shelter where pupils may lock their bikes at their own risk.
- Report back to parents on pupils not tiding [sic, should read riding I'd think] safely and causing concern.
- Reserve the right to withdraw permission for any child breaking the contract to ride to and from school.
= = = = = THE END (literally) = = = = =
School heads are in the sand. You know, there might be ostriches at the DfmmT too. As at no-head HQ (DfmmT) - or is it a multiple head HQ (scary Hydra style) - it's not so much about finding answers, it's more about asking the wrong questions to obscure the right answer. Or do they still believe - really - that they can convince everyone that they should walk or cycle? Or do they...? It's all just silly tactics, isn't it? Time wasting. Frantically action for inactivity.
Find the full (but mostly meaningless) report here: http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/cct-qualitative-research-residents/cct-qualitative-research.pdf
As for the school report, nice to have it, but can someone give the head teachers detention please? They deserve it. They should have contacted the Cllrs and MPs and kicked up a fuss about children's right to cycle. There's an isolation cell at Gosforth HiHi an informant tells me. Send them there.
And make sure there are concrete floors. It's great how far LSTF money gets you.
Newcastle, Tankerville Terrace - crawling school run. Awful streetscape, everyone's "rushing" around, trying to get away...
Video No. 2 of how not to do it. Same sad location.
And here's how you do it. Assen, Netherlands. Contains people on bicycles. People are easy and relaxed, chatty and engaged.
PS the Tyneside school report can be supplied upon request. It's 8mb and pdf. DM me your email address on @katsdekker